Take a tour of our lovely city
Munich, the capital of Bavaria, located on the banks of river Isar, is a large cosmopolitan city that has been able to retain a provincial atmosphere. Its center is very compact, making it easy to tour the city on foot.The city is a major center for art, technology, culture, education, sports, business and tourism in Germany.
Most of the landmarks, like the Frauenkirche, Old Town Hall and the New Town Hall can be found in the historic center, which is also known as Marienplatz. Marienplatz is the main square of Munich and it has been the heart of Munich’s cultural life since 1158. Marienplatz was named after the Mariensäule, a Marian column erected in its centre in 1638 to celebrate the end of Swedish occupation. Today the Marienplatz is dominated by the New Town Hall (NeuesRathaus) on the north side. The Glockenspiel in its tower draws millions of tourists a year. At the east side Munich’s Old Town Hall (AltesRathaus) is located. It’s a gothic council hall and ballroom and tower, which have been reconstructed. It was home to the city government until 1874. Since then, the city government and the city council are hosted by the New Town Hall, which is located at the northern part of the square.The Frauenkirche, located north-west to the Marienplatz and officially known as Munich Cathedral, is a symbolic church which also serves the city as the seat of its archbishop. It is defined as a symbolic landmark by the Bavarian parliament. Much of the interior was destroyed during WWII but a very important attraction has survived: The Teufelstritt, or Devil’s Footstep, at the entrance. This is a black mark resembling a footprint, which according to legend was where the devil stood when he curiously regarded and ridiculed the church.
The pedestrian zone between Marienplatz and Karlsplatz is the most crowded and popular area of Munich with numerous shops and restaurants.
In addition to all these landmarks, three weeks before Christmas the Christkindlmarkt opens at Marienplatz and other squares in the city, selling Christmas goods and food and drink, and our conference happens to take place in this wonderful time frame!
But Munich doesn’t consist of only one touristic area. Its efficient subway will bring you to more remote places, such as the Olympiapark and Nymphenburg Palace. The Olympiapark is an Olympic Parkwhich was constructed for the 1972 Munich Summer Olympics. Found in the area of Oberwiesenfeld, the park still serves as a venue of cultural and social events, with its stadium and a number of sports halls. The beautiful Olympic Sea and the Olympic Tower complete the amazing view of the Olympic Village in an artistic way.
One of the most enduring symbols of Munich is the Nymphenpurg Palace. Being built in 1675, it is a Baroque palace and was the summer residence of Bavarian rulers for a long time. The palace was commissioned by the prince-electoral couple Ferdinand Maria and Henriette Adelaide of Savoy to the designs of the Italian architect AgostinoBarelli in 1664 after the birth of their son Maximilian II Emanuel. The central pavilion was completed in 1675. As a building material it utilized limestone from Kelheim. The castle was gradually expanded and transformed over the years. Today Nymphenburg is open to the public but also continues to be a home and chancery for the head of the house of Wittelsbach, currently Franz, Duke of Bavaria.
The city is home to one of the largest public parks of the world with its beautiful English Garden. It stretches from the city center to the northeastern city limits. In 1789, Elector Carl Theodor had the idea of a park along the Isar River and he decided to put the project in the hands of the Briton Benjamin Thompson, who worked at the time for the Bavarian Army. The park was given the name English Garden because it was laid out in the style of an English country park. Today “the garden” offers numerous leisure time activities. It also hosts the second biggest beer garden in Munich right by the Chinese Tower, which is another Bavarian landmark.
The Maximilianeum, a palatial building situated on the bank of river Isar before the Maximilian Bridge, is the political heart of the state of Bavaria. It was King Maximilian 2nd of Bavaria who started the project in 1857. It was completed in 1874 and it has housed the Bavarian parliament since 1949.